Monday, May 28, 2012

Look of the Day: Graduation

Last Saturday I officially graduated with my Master's degree! All the stress, struggles, and sleepless nights finally paid off. My entire family came from Chicago to DC to be there for the celebration. My biggest concern for my big day was finding the perfect dress.
---

It took me three tries to find the perfect dress. I had my heart set on wearing a white, lace dress but they all were too short for my taste or out of my budget. I gave up and bought a navy blue sweetheart dress at work that I decided was too casual for wearing to my own graduation, a second navy lace dress at Shabby Apple that was too long and too big and just not what I was looking for. Finally I pressured my mom to stop into H&M for a few seconds and I found the perfect dress (at just $30!) within 5 minutes. I love the peplum detail and how it makes the dress a little more playful than just a plain shift dress. I think the length is perfect and I felt comfortable wearing it all day. The marshmallow color is a bit warmer than a stark white and makes me look tan! I love how subtle the lace detailing is. It is a sweet and pretty dress. Plus, I think I could easily re-wear it for other special occasions.

I loved the bracelet I found at H&M because of the pastel turquoise and pink. We then headed to Forever 21 to see if they had a necklace that worked with it. This was the first necklace I laid eyes on and I love that it brings out the gold in the bracelet and adds a little roughness to the very sweet dress. I didn't have money or time to buy a new pair of shoes so I wore my trusty brown pumps from H&M they worked well since it again played up the golds in my accessories.

I spent a lot of time on my makeup and tried really hard to perfect the cat eye, which I've never done before. I used eyeshadows from the Kat Von D True Romance Palette. For an all over base I used the peachy Sister and for the lime green cat eye, I used multiple layers of Snake Eyes wet. And on my lips I'm wearing Tarte Lipsurgence in Amused, which I got in my Teen Vogue Birchbox. I was very happy with how my makeup came out, it was subtle, timeless, but had a little edge to it.

 dress: H&M
shoes: H&M
bracelet: H&M
necklace: Forever 21
earrings: Lydell NYC


Now on to the next journey...

4 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...