Thursday, May 17, 2012

Beauty Trading

The best part about being a member of the beauty forum www.makeuptalk.com is trading with other members. Beauty boxes are about trying new products and finding things that work, but that doesn't always happen. I know I have a bin of products that I've tried and didn't like or things I just know I won't use. Every so often my friends in the area would get a product I wanted that she didn't want so we'd be able to trade. But with only 3 friends in the area that get birchbox and MyGlam, it isn't often that that happens.

MakeupTalk solved my issue by allowing me to trade with a community of over 1000 members. I started trading back in February and so far I've traded with over 10 members. It helps that USPS First class is so cheap! Normally it costs less than $3 to mail out, and I have so many mailers that I just keep reusing them.

Take a look at all that I've gotten! Sorry for the busy background, I was getting 'creative.'



-Vichy Pureté Thermale Soothing Eye MakeUp Remover: I swear I had read that Vichy was a cruelty-free company even though they are owned by L'Oreal, but now I can't find a reputable place that states that. I won't be rebuying any Vichy products. Either way this eye makeup remover didn't work all that great. I'd have to rub super hard to get any of my eyeliners off. So much for being for sensitive eyes.


-Vichy Pureté Thermale 3-in-1 One Step Cleanser: I did really like this cleanser. But I'll find a different one. I love that it is a water free formula. It cleanses, is a toning lotion, and an eye make-up remover. I liked that it left my skin feeling hydrated and clean. I don't think it did a great job on my eye make-up though.


-Pier Imports Sweet Sangria Body Splash: I picked this out of a giant traveling sample box we had going around (The box was sent to 10 different gals. Each girl took out what they wanted and put in more samples). I loved how it smelled! It smells like really tart candy. It's perfect for spritzing around my room randomly.

-Heel to Toe Cucumber Heel Treatment: I have really dry heels and I like the cucumber scent. This was also part of the traveling box.

-Bath & Body Works Anti-bacterial Hand Gel in Vixen's Sweet Mint: You can never have enough travel anti-bacterial packs! I also picked this out of the traveling sample box.

-Ulta Dual Crayon Eyeliner in Plum/Deep Brown: I don't have either color eyeliners so I was excited that I was able to grab this up from the traveling sample box.


-REN Glycolactic Skin Renewal Peel Mask: I have a friend who recommends REN so I wanted to try this product out. It is suposed to remove dead skin cells, brighten skin, reduce the appearance of fine lines, and combat blackheads and blemishes. I've only used it once. Although I liked the smell and the cool texture, I'm not sure it worked that well. But, I'm so impatient with masks to begin with.

-VMW Hypoallergenics Re-Everything: Face-Hand-Body Lotion: I got this in my January Birchbox and have been using it as a hand cream and enjoy it, but not enough to pay $45 for the full-size. It is non-greasy and non-scented so perfect for hydrating. And I just ran out so already using this new bottle.

-Fresh Sugar Lip Treatment in Sugar: This is the Sephora birthday gift for the year. I have yet to have my birthday and figured I'd try it out. It has SPF which is great. It isn't my favorite lip balm, but it is a great pocket size. It does do a pretty good job at keeping my lips hydrated. This was another pick from the traveling sample box.


-Color Club Nail Lacquer in He Loves Me: I traded for this color before I realized I'd be getting the exact color in my March Birchbox. I had hoped my box would have had the lighter color. But no worries, I already traded the extra one I had. It is a cute nail polish, but it did chip pretty quickly.


-Sheer Cover Duo Concealer in Light/Medium: I got this in my January MyGlam and it is the one product I've received from MyGlam that I like/use. I use it every day and really like how creamy the formula is. I dab on both colors to get the perfect shade. It isn't the greatest, but the best I have found yet.


-Harvey Prince Ageless Perfume: This may be meant to make you feel and smell 8-12 years younger, but  I still wanted to try this scent out. It is a sparkling musk scent (pink grapefruit, mango, ylang ylang, tuberose, jasmine, sandalwood, and musk). It reminds of some scent from my past, but I can't remember what it is. The musk is very overpowering, but not in a bad way. It just mellows down all those fruity scents making it a bit more sensual. I love wearing this scent, but probably wouldn't buy a full-size.

-Vera Bella Bella Rose Calming Skin Creme: I received this in my March Sindulge box and loved it! So I decided to get a second one since someone didn't want it. I use it on my nose since its acne-ridden but always dry. And this creme is suposed to minimize pore, is non-clogging, and lightweight.

-blinc liquid eyeliner: I love blinc mascara so much that I thought Id try out their eyeliner, but I hated it! It took forever to dry and itched. Plus, I couldn't draw a straight, fine line. I threw it out.

-Juice Beauty Blemish Clearing Serum: I heard so many people have amazing results with this blemish clearing serum. It is a mix of apple, lemon, and willow bark that unclogs pores, reduces breakouts, and lightens scars while aloe and Vitamin C renew the skin. I had no luck with this serum. My acne didn't get worse, but it didn't get better either.

-Sircuit Skin Cosmeceuticals Molecular Mist: This is a hydrating moisture spray. It refreshes and plumps skin, helps to hydrate dried skin, and allows for a barrier from environmental damage. This is great for days that I am so sleepy I forget to moisturize, it can be used to set makeup as well, and is perfect for the dry patches that pop up during the day. The only thing I don't like is that it smells like Love's Baby Soft perfume, which is kiddish baby powder.

-Orofluido Elixir: This hair oil is a mix of argan, linseed, and cyperus oil. It helps to strengthen hair, smooth hair, and leave it silky smooth and shiny. I use a little before I blow dry my hair and it looks sleeky, smooth, and shiny. My oily, thin hair can handle it well.

-random small eyeshadow samples

I have received more products, but I've already used them up or given them away. Every month I get more and more samples that I throw in my trade bin which is why I've decided to start canceling some of my subscription services or skipping months (Beauty Army). However much I love the little surprises in the mail, I've found so many great products that my daily routine is becoming more set in stone. Plus, now that Estee Lauder is no longer cruelty-free a lot of the brands that I used to be able to wear I no longer can.

If you are a member of MakeupTalk you should definitely take advantage of the trading!

5 comments:

  1. are all the things that you get when trading new and unopened?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. not always. I've traded an acne cleanser that was 3/4 full or something that I only swatched. But sometimes things are sealed and unused. I never trade for used lip or eye products myself. But the trader will always specify the condition, or you can always ask :)

      Delete
  2. The trading is great! It looks like you got some pretty great items. I had one trade that went really smoothly, and I got a Too Faced blush, a Revolution Organics lip gloss, and a Burt's Bees lip shimmer along with a few other goodies.

    The other trade...didn't go so well. I sent a bunch of really great stuff (theBalm, Urban Decay, etc) and I got a box full of counterfeit MAC in return! Booo. So, I'm kinda turned off from trading for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. holy crap!! on makeuptalk!? did you report that user? I haven't had a bad trade yet, that's too bad.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, I reported them! Hopefully they get banned from the trade thread.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...