Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Birchbox: May 2012 (Gossip Girl) Box 2 of 2

This month we learned a new trick to 'cheat' and figure out what was inside of our boxes. Even though the website wasn't live for the May boxes, the give feedback button was. So if you looked at a product page and it had a give feedback option that was in your box. Sadly, I learned before I even got my box that Iwas going to be disappointed.

Don't know what Birchbox is?
Birchbox is a monthly subscription service that delivers a little, heavenly box of premium beauty samples to your doorstep. Each month you will receive 4-5 samples (sometimes even full-sized products) and generally a goodie (energy booster, granola bar, etc). The samples range from make-up, polishes, skincare, body, hair, and fragrances. All from luxury, quality brands. Every month is a surprise, but the samples picked for you are based on a survey you fill out letting the gals know your style and skin-type. Birchbox costs just $10 a month, and your box will always be valued way above!
Click here to join Birchbox.

May 2012, Gossip Girl Box #9
As you all know the May boxes were curated by the beauty/hair team behind the CW's hit show Gossip Girl. The boxes were even shipped out early this month so that everyone will have their boxes in time for the season finale Monday, May 14th. Unfortunately my second box was sent out a few days after the other box and I didn't get it until after I left for vacation. But it was waiting patiently for me when I got home. This box had a sub-theme of Hampton's Beach Party. The box had products to help a city girl look natural and chic at the beach. I did watch the season finale of Gossip Girl, but I forgot to enter the trivia contest and I can't find it on the Birchbox facebook tabs, so oh well.


Information Cards:


Products:
Ojundamage reverse Restorative Conditioner
Repair stressed strands with this aromatic hair treatment -- exotic ojun and monoi oils work together to smooth and hydrate.
Full Size: 8.5 oz ($25.00)
Size Received: 1.0 oz ($2.94)
Another Ojun product? I learned that Ojun was bought by Estee Lauder and therefore are no longer cruelty-free. Their products are tested on animals as required by law (aka China). So these products, even if not necessary for our market are tested on animals for the Chinese market. Not cool. Plus, this is a creamy, thick conditioner! I have very thin, oily hair wtf? I was so angry that I received a product that was not for my hair type. I decided to take a look at what my profile was set to and somehow it was set to dry!! Dry is right above fine, so I don't get how that happened.  But it does explain a lot.

Color Club: Nail Lacquer in Clambake Coral
Just in time for summer, this warm shade will set off your newly (self-) tanned skin.
Full Size: 0.5 oz ($8.00)
Size Received: 0.25 oz ($4.00)
This color is from the Summer Pastels collection. The color I received may be called coral but to me it looks very pink. Yeah it may be a bit of an orangey pink but it is not so soft. Although I will say it looks more coral when on my nails. It's a little brighter than what I would consider pastel, but I do really like this color. At first, I wasn't so sure, but once on my nails I loved how it looked with my skin color. It is my favorite thing in my box! My only complaint is that with any Color Club nail polish I end up with uneven coats. But unless you look closely you can't tell.

BVLGARIOmnia Crystalline EDT
Inspired by luminescent crystals (so glam), this fresh scent combines notes of lotus flowers, bamboo, and Nashi pear.
Full Size: 1.33 oz ($64.00)
Size Received: 0.05 oz ($2.40)
Omnia Crystalline was inspired by the luminesce of crystal. I'm not sure what a crystal would smell like, but apparently it is an exotic fruit and woodsy. It has notes of asian nashi pear, lotus flower, bamboo and balsa wood. The first fragrance I got in my first Gossip Girl Birchbox was manly and overly woodsy, this scent is the exact opposite. It is sensual, flirty, and feminine. The exotic fruits are just what I like. It smells rich and elegant and dries down to a soft, sweet woodsy smell. It isn't overpowering, but I feel like I could show up to a job interview and command the room or dress up in a slinky dress on a hot date. If it wasn't so expensive I'd be more inclined to rebuy. But this is one of the few products that I felt was Gossip Girl worthy.

Kiehl'sAbyssine Cream +
A longtime bestseller, this anti-aging moisturizer uses microscopic Abyssine molecules to soften wrinkles and protect skin from free radical damage.
Full Size: 1.69 oz ($48.00)
Size Received: 0.25 oz ($7.10)
I had to check again to make sure that my profile does not indicate that Im interested in anti-aging products and it doesnt. Instead it says my face is oily and I'm interested in natural products. How does this fit either requirements. Kiehl's is a THICK moisturizer that has all sorts of pore clogging ingredients. It may work to soften wrinkles but I don't want to put this on my face. Plus, Kiehl's is owned by L'Oreal and therefore is not cruelty-free. I will not be using this and hope I can trade it for something I want to use.

Birchbox: xoxo notecard
Text messages are no match for handwritten notes on fun, modern stationary.
Full Size: 12 notecards ($10.00)
Size Received: 1 notecard ($0.83)
I still weirdly love this extra! I'm trying to trade so that I have more of them. I know some people think they are like the paper coasters or the tiebands, but I actually think it is awesome! I'll be writing my graduation thank you letters this week and am so excited to send these lovely cards on their way.

Total value of my May 2012 box #9:$17.27
I wasn't happy with my first box and I'm not happy with this box. I did edit my profile back to fine/oily, but it sucks that I wasted a month. The lesson to be learn is to not buy into hype. And that I need to scale back on subscription services. I still love Birchbox and just gifted it to a good friend for her birthday, I just wish the months were more consistent. Hopefully next month it will be back on top. 

What do you think of my second May Birchbox? Would you have liked this box? How does my box compare to yours? Let me know in the comments below!
If you don't get Birchbox, click here to join

4 comments:

  1. This isn't an awful box, but it really isn't very Gossip Girl to me. I liked my boxes, but I really didn't get the posh or luxury vibe vibe from it. I think they made the mistake of overhyping this one too much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Their hype really ruined it for me. Plus, the two main products I couldn't use. Of all the curated boxes the Teen Vogue was definitely the best. Even with all the confusion.

      Delete
  2. I wish we had Birchbox in Canada. This box is soo cute.. would love to have a themed box that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Themed boxes are more fun! My favorite themed boxes were the Teen Vogue ones.
      I bet you guys will be getting Birchbox one day! If Birchbox HQ isnt thinking about it, they are crazy!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...