Thursday, May 3, 2012

Glossybox USA: April 2012 (Unboxing)

Oh boy oh boy oh boy! Ever since I learned about beauty subscription services I died over Glossybox over in Europe. The brands that they featured, the size of the samples, and just the presentation was absolutely stunning! I always wished that they would head to America and the minute I heard they were I flipped. Months and months of following their facebook page paid off because I was lucky enough to WIN the first ever Glossybox USA!! The box arrived yesterday and let me tell you. It was worth the wait.

Don't know what Glossybox USA is?
GlossyBox USA is a beauty subscription service that delivers the most gorgeous pink box of premium beauty samples to your doorstep. Each month you will receive 5 deluxe, luxury, travel-sized samples (many times a full-sized product). The samples range from make-up, polishes, skincare, body, hair, and fragrances. All products from the creme-de-la-creme brands of beauty. Every month is a surprise, but the products will be personalized based on a beauty profile. GlossyBox USA is pricey at $21 a month, but your box will always be valued way above!
Click here to join GlossyBox USA.

April 2012, Contest Winnings!
I assumed this box was May, but from the website it looks like this is considered April's box. I found out that I won this box a few minutes after reading my first job application rejection email. Funny enough the day that I reviewed it I received my second :( But at least I have a gorgeous product to test out! These boxes are STURDY and they look luxurious. I feel like they are what somebody who bought gift wrapping service at Bergdorf would receive. I know for sure I'll be keeping this box! What's great is that the logo is so discrete that they can be re-used for gifts. I about died when I saw the tissue paper. All the famous landmarks around the world! Is it weird that Im tempted to keep it? I was giggling while unpacking it! I already peaked at the content, but it was still exciting to see how BIG all the samples were. Well they aren't really samples, but full-size products! I guess that is why Glossybox USA is so darn expensive. It may even be the most expensive of all their boxes. I love all the little touches, like the booklet Around the World With Glossybox. It contains all the hottest trends in 17 countries. It was fun to read and was so darn cute!


Information Cards:


Products:
OPI: Nail Lacquer in Kiss Me On My Tulips
A smooch-worthy shade of hot pink.
Full Size: 0.5 oz ($8.50)
Size Received: Full-size! 0.5 oz ($8.50)
I've never actually bought an OPI nail polish for myself but it is always the nail polish that you find at salons. All new OPI nail lacquers are vegan and cruelty-free (their parent company Coty is not cruelty-free). This color is a pretty berry, bright fuschia. I don't think there is anything special about it, I have many similar colors. But color aside, the OPI brush was so sturdy and easy to use. It helped the already amazing formula glide right on, streak free. So whenever Im looking for a bright pink, I'll be reaching for this guy.

Basq: Cucumber Tea Soothing Eye Gel
Give your eyes a fresh start with Basq's soothing and smoothing Cucumber Tea Eye Gel.
Full Size: 0.5 oz ($24.00)
Size Received: Full-size! 0.5 oz ($24.00)
I've been loving Clairvoyant's Depuffing Cucumber & Cranberry Eye Gel like crazy the past few months. I love everything about it and already bought a second full size product. This similar gel uses cucumber to replenish skin's moisture content while anti-swelling ingredients reduce puffiness and swelling. It also is formulated with green tea as an anti-inflammatory agent and menthol to provide a tingly, energized feeling. The major difference between these two products is the Basq has so many more ingredients. I guess it is nice that the Basq also has anti-aging ingredients, but for me I appreciate a nice, concise list.  My biggest issue is the fact that it uses menthol. Whenever I use it I have that icey-hot feeling in my eyes. Like I just got mint shampoo in my eyes. Once that goes away I can feel it working away and reducing the appearance of my tired eyes. And I have to add that I do love how it feels on my skin. Cooling and soothing. What's great is that it can be applied nice and thick at night and in a thin layer, under makeup in the morning. I'll give it a few days for my eyes to get used to because I do think I've notice an improvement in my dark circles, although that could be because I'm getting more sleep this week.

Cargo: EyeBronzer
Create the sunny glow of summer year round with CARGO's easy to apply EyeBronzer.
Full Size: 0.035 oz ($22.00)
Size Received: Full-size! 0.035 oz ($22.00)
I just learned about the Canadian brand from Little Black Bag which features many different Cargo products. This eye bronzer is a pot of loose shimmering, bronze/gold shadow that has a spongey applicator. It reminds me of the Jane Iredal Mystikol Powder Pen that I received from my last BeautyFix haul. I adore the Jane Iredale and I LOVE the Cargo. It glides on so pigmented and shimmery! And I love that is a more golden bronze. Because I'm a giant dork, ever since I saw The Hunger Games, I have wanted to steal Lenny Kravitz's gold eyeliner! Yeah it won't look as pow as it does on his rich, dark skin, but this will get my fix on! It looks great as a liner, smudged out as a shadow, dabbed in the inner corner for a summery glow, etc. What can't you do with this guy!

C.O. Bigelow: Lavender & Peppermint Shampoo
Cleanse and invigorate your locks with this cult classic.
Full Size: 5.2 oz ($12.00)
Size Received: Full-size! 5.2 oz ($12.00)
Ah the bottle is too adorable! It makes me think that I bought it from the town apothecary behind Dr Quinn Medicine Woman. I probably was smelling her hair and trying to touch her since I'm creepy and obsessed with her! This shampoo was originally only for the hotel industry, but so many people raved about it that the company finally made it available commercially. It is a nice clear, gel-like formula (which I look for in a shampoo) and smells nice. It does contain sodium laureth sulfate, but I have used products containing SLS before and have had no issues with itchy scalp, whereas some products that don't contain it irritate my scalp even more. I'm close to running out of my current shampoo, so it'll be nice to have this and the Linda Kammin's sample I just received from Goodebox handy.

Kryolan: High Gloss Brilliant Lip Shine in Toffee
This lip gloss is filled with pearl pigments that supply your lips with extraordinary radiance. *Exclusive to Glossybox before Kryolan's US launch.
Full Size: 0.135 oz ($18.10)
Size Received: Full-size! 0.135 oz ($18.10)
This is one solid lip gloss container. I mean there is no way you could lose it. I guess I never buy lip gloss, I just have a billion sample sizes, so its huge to me (that's what she said...). When I saw the word pearl pigments I freaked out because normally pearl means fish scales (aka guanine), but this is formulated with mica, whew. Well that dillema was quickly averted, this formula is horrific. It is sticky, gummy, and does not apply smoothly. However hard I tried I could not get this to apply evenly on my lips. I'd blot away and it still would look silly. The color is a pretty creamy mauve that is subtle and sweet. Maybe it'll work better on someone else. I'll be giving this to one of my friends. In the future I'll stay away from their glosses, but I'm still intrigued by the German based company as they have refused to test on animals in their 66 years :)

Erno Laszlo: Hollywood Collection
This Hollywood Collection of Creams commemorates 85 yars of Erno Laszlo with formulas inspired by his iconic devotees: Ava, Katharine, Marilyn, Grace, and Greta.
Full Size: 5 x 0.5 oz ($125.00)
Size Received: 5 x ? ($?)
I swear I saw this sample packet in the UK Glossybox last year. Either way Im overwhelmed. Each of the Hollywood starlets have inspired these creams. The Morning Beauty Rescue is inspired by Marilyn Monroe and her radiant sensuality; the air-whipped gel actively brightens and rejuvenates your complexion. The Refresh Moisture Infusion is inspired by Grace Kelly and her classic beauty; the cream can help capture her clear and radiant complexion with a moisture drenching elixir. The Instant Eye Repair is inspired by Ava Gradner's mesmerizing eyes; the luxurious cream firms. The Intensive Porcelain veil is inspired by Katharine Hepburn and her flawless complexion; this shields your skin from aging. And finally the Velvet Night Cream is inspired by Greta Garbo's allure; all it says it is is a decadent night treatment. I'm not sure I'll use these. However much I am in love with Marilyn and Grace there is no point in trying something that is CLEARLY outside of my budget. I don't want to be tempted. Instead this will make a great treat/gift.

Total Value of my April 2012 Glossybox$84.60 (not including Enzo Laszlo samples)
Not bad! I was so surprised when I saw that this subscription was going to be $21, I had expected ~$15. To me going into the twenties is too much for a subscription box, especially when there may be a chance you don't like a product or in my case I can't use the product because it isn't vegan/cruelty-free. But Glossybox exceeded my expectations by choosing to feature only cruelty-free brands. I'm not sure I'd subscribe right away, I may wait to see if the boxes are as good as this one. Don't want another MyGlam, where the first box is out of this world and the rest are so-so. But overall I am in love with Glossybox, they obviously feature higher-end, more luxurious brands. This box was a real treat!

What did you think of the very FIRST Glossybox USA? Are you going to subscribe? Is it too expensive? Let me know in the comments below!

12 comments:

  1. I'm in love...with GlossyBox. Your review was so much more informative and in-depth than mine, and such a treat to read! I found the key for me with the lipgloss was use a TINY TINY amount. And my lips have to be exfoliated/moisturized for a color like this...otherwise it settles into lip lines for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im glad you enjoyed the review! Ill have to try out the Kryolan again. It is such a pretty color so I want to make it work!
      How do you exfoliate your lips?

      Delete
    2. I brush over them with my toothbrush softly when I'm brushing my teeth! There are also lip scrubs you can make with sugar and honey! :)

      Delete
    3. Easy enough! I'll try that and see if the lip gloss looks any better!

      Delete
  2. Awesome review! I cannot wait for Glossybox to launch! I want to sign up so badly, so I hope I can fit it in...but honestly the amount of crap I already have and the $21 price tag might be keeping me away for awhile.

    You can make your own lip exfoliator! There are all kinds of recipes online. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. The money bit is tough, but I think I can swing it! Ill just have to bring my lunch more often to work!

      Delete
  3. Awesome box! Yeah, $21 is steep, but you did get amazing products - that's probably worth it more than some boxes other that are $12 but you barely get anything (I won't name names!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's so true! With others its a gamble, but Glossybox seems so reputable and every month I've seen in other countries is consistently amazing. I may need to slap down the $21!

      Delete
  4. This box is amazing!! The CO Bigelow Shampoo seems perfect! I need to check it out! I wish they deliver in my country, but ahh a girl can dream! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried it yet, but I'll let you know when I do. It smells awesome! And if so many people fell in love with a hotel shampoo? haha I bet its good! Glossybox is getting around! They've added so many countries this year! Don't lose hope ;)

      Delete
  5. Oooh I love that Cargo Eye Bronzer! I've got the Canadian Glossybox at $15, but at $21 if I can get amazing products like this, I would totally pay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's become my favorite part of the box! Don't worry, I'm pretty sure that our box will be similar to yours once subscriptions actually open. They've let us know that all full-size products like in this box won't be happening. This was just a special box since it was the razzle dazzle promo. I'm holding off a few months to see what they look like since $21 is way too much to not be fully satisfied.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...