Friday, May 18, 2012

Favorite Music Friday: Those Dancing Days

I grew up on boy bands. Backstreet Boys, Nsync, 98 degrees, HANSON <3, LFO, O-Town, and more. There were a lot of girl bands, but aside from the Spice Girls none that were as popular as the boys. Fast forward to current day and boy bands are back, but what about the girls? I've got you covered.

Those Dancing Days is an all-girl band from Stockholm, Sweden. They formed back in 2005 while many of the girls were still in high school. As you can imagine their music is more youthful. Apparently they are considered tweepop, a genre I never heard of, that is a type of indie pop that is a revolt into childhood. Linnea Jönsson has one of those crooning voices that I love. It is dreamy, sweet, and wispy. It pairs well with synth rhythms, electric guitar, and heavy percussions. The lyrics are all so catchy and fun. You feel the vulnerability of your youth all over again.


I had such a hard time picking a song that I decided to pick two. Both from their most recent 2011 sophomore release of Daydreams & Nightmares. The first is 'Keep Me In Your Pocket,' an up-beat, fun love song that is laced with cute lyrics such as 'Even your friend who looks like James Dean get's pale when you're around.' It exemplifies what Those Dancing Days is all about. I chose a live performance even though it's not a perfect recording because they are so vibrant on stage!

The second is my absolute favorite song from them, 'One Day Forever.' The whiney, softness of her voice paired with Orlando Weeks' harmonies is just heavenly. It is another love song, but with a bit more pack from the instruemntation in the chorus. I absolutely adore every second of this song. I sing along with every word and tighten up when I hear the POW entrance of all the instruments. I have goosebumps right now.

Unfortunately these girls are currently on a hiatus. They decided to part ways so that some of the girls could go back to school, others take jobs, and also explore new musical endeavors. I truly hope they do eventually come back!

Happy Friday! 

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you. In 90s there not many girl group ..

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...