Thursday, February 9, 2012

Birchbox: February 2012

I already got my Birchbox!!!! You heard me. Apparently Birchbox has moved from Streamlite (boo, slow) to UPS Innovations (yay, fast!). I got my shipment notification today, clicked to look where it was...uh front door, woop!

Don't know what Birchbox is?
Birchbox is a monthly subscription service that delivers a little, heavenly box of premium beauty samples to your doorstep. Each month you will receive 4-5 samples (sometimes even full-sized products) and generally a goodie (energy booster, granola bar, etc). The samples range from make-up, polishes, skincare, body, hair, and fragrances. All from luxury, quality brands. Every month is a surprise, but the samples picked for you are based on a survey you fill out letting the gals know your style and skin-type. Birchbox costs just $10 a month, and your box will always be valued way above!
Click here to join Birchbox.

February 2012, Box #7
This month's box is all about the spotlight. Highlighting your awesomeness and brands that are changing the way we think about familiar products.



Information Card:




Products:


beautyblender: the original beautyblender
This hot pink sponge is a pro favorite that helps your foundation look airbrushed, no Photoshop required.
Full Size: 2 pack ($25.95)
Size Received: 1 sponge ($12.98)
$12 dollars for a sponge!? I think Sephora's $6 for their sponge wheel was too much. I never really thought that there could be a difference in sponge quality. The beautyblender sponge has very, very fine pores. It almost felt smooth to the touch, all other sponges I think feel rubbery. I do really like the shape. The top fine point will be great for my eyes. I normally blend my foundation with my hands and only use a sponge around my eyes. I used it tonight and didn't really see much difference. Maybe I didnt use it correctly. Who knows, but I would never pay that much for a sponge. 
ETA: Uhh, yup using the sponge wrong. You must get it wet, ring it out, and use a bouncing application method. Now I understand why it is so expensive and why everyone is gaga for it! I used less product and have better coverage!! Im in love. Watch the tutorial here


dermalogica: Daily Microfoliant
Skincare insiders swear by this genius exfoliating powder. Just add water to create a rich paste that will buff dead cells away.
Full Size: 2.7 oz ($50)
Size Received: 0.45 oz ($8.33) + $1 donation through joinFITE.org
A few of my friends know how much I have wanted to try a dermalogica product. I have a Danish friend that bought this stuff when she was here in the states visiting me. I couldn't believe the prices! At that time I was using $5-10 acne solutions. I couldn't ever imagine paying $50 for an exfoliant. As the dermalogica website explains, this product uses rice-based enzyme powder to microfoliate skin. After cleansing, you put a half teaspoon of the powder in your wet hands and you create a creamy paste. Then apply in a circular motion, let sit for a minute, and rinse. I used it tonight before I left for class. The powder smells like oatmeal and talc. It quickly turns into a paste. It wasn't a thick paste, but it was no longer a powder. Im amazed that it really does exfoliate. My skin did not get red or irritated, but felt silky smooth and soft. Dermalogica says the product not only exfoliates away dead skin, but brightens and smooths. So happy I got this!

Also, on the packaging shows that dermalogica donates in your name to Financial Independence Through Entrepreneurship (FITE). This organization lets you pick what type of business you want to support and what region of the world. Very nifty. I didn't think my sample would allow me to donate, but I tried anyway using the link located on the box. I got to donate $1! I chose to donate to a retail business in the United States. There were multiple options, but I like donating to organizations helping better my own community. For example, in college there were many students who went to New Orleans to build houses, while very few kids chose to help the local community which has one of the highest homeless populations for the city size. Not that the other wasn't a good deed, but why not help out your neighbors?
     


Jouer: Luminizing Moisture Tint in pearl
The votes are in, and this award-winning tinted moisturizer tops the list. It's our daily shortcut to dewy, glowing skin.
Full Size: 1.7 oz ($38)
Size Received: 0.07 oz ($1.58)
Boy does birchbox love Jouer. This is my third Jouer product. I'd never heard of the brand before birchbox. But I have liked everything sample I've received from them. This one is no exception. The sample size is very small though. So small! I feel like I'll use this up in less than a week. poo. Pearl is a TINTED moisturizer. I mean tinted. It looks like a shimmery foundation when you first put it on your hand. You can kind of see the shimmer in the upper left corner of the swatch where I already blended it into my skin. 
When it is rubbed in, it is has very fine shimmer and just a tint of a glowy dewy color. I probably have already said this, but I swear by Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream, but I tried this out today. It wasn't greasy on my skin and added that dewy glow. It wasn't as much moisture as my Cetaphil though. The dry parts of my nose were still dry. This would be a good moisturizer for summer though. And I love that it has SPF


EYE ROCK: Designer Liner
Stop wrestling with the liquid liner and achieve a perfect cat eye with these single-use stick-on liner strips.
Full Size: 2 packs of 4 ($13)
Size Received: 1 pack of 4 ($6.50)
Uhhhh. At least these aren't the lip tattoos... But who knows these may be very cool. The package comes with all 4 styles. Im betting that these will be very hard for my clumsy hands to apply. I like my makeup to look perfect. But what is good is that you can cut them to make them better fit your eyes. I like that they aren't just straight black, but are a bit shimmery. They may be fun to wear out at night! 



heart-shaped nail file
There's no shame in filing your nails in public with this heart-shaped, neon looker.
Would you believe me that I don't have a nail file... Well I dont. I use my jeans. It works most of the time, but sometimes I need something a little more. So I welcome this fluorescent pink heart! 

                              

Birchbox Digital Download: Green River Ordinance (7 songs)
Six free tunes from Green River Ordinance, an indie rock band poised to hit the spotlight.
It says six in the description, but I received 7 songs. ALSO! the link they have on the card doesn't work! Luckily the link is provided on your shipment email. Whew. Well I accidentally listened to the sampler on repeat. I kind of like them. They are a bit of a whiny, indie, folk boy band. Does that make sense? 'Heart of Me' is my favorite. You can listen to that song and a few others at their website. But if you subscribe to birchbox you can listen to all 7 songs! I really like this extra. I'm a music fiend. Free music, yes please

Total Value of my February 2012 box:$29.39 (+ extras and donation)


What did you think of my box? How did it compare to yours? If you dont get Birchbox, click here to join! Let me know in the comments below!

4 comments:

  1. Im so excited for this months box! You got yours so fast! I can't wait!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it crazy! I couldn't believe that I already got it. I was just complaining to a friend I was always one of the last people to get mine. I hope you like your box as much as I liked mine!

      Delete
  2. Wow I love your review! This was such an awesome Birchbox :) I was also ECSTATIC about them dropping Streamlite lol. Us west-coasters really get the shaft when it comes to shipping most of the time. This improved it greatly! I'm glad you are now a believer in the Beauty Blender, that thing is amazeballs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Chelsey! You actually helped set this baby rolling! I won your Urban Decay Pocket Rocket contest back in Dec and ever since then I've wanted my own beauty blog :)

      Some people have been complaining on makeuptalk about UPS-MI but I think they are the best!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...