Monday, June 4, 2012

Goodebox: May 2012

I received my May Goodebox a few weeks ago and was so excited about everything in it! But life got away from me. I'm getting behind on my blog posts! I thought being out of school would mean more time for blogging but the more hours I work the more I want to just relax when I get home.

What is Goodebox?
Goodebox is a monthly subscription service that delivers trial size healthy, eco-conscious, natural beauty and personal care products. Each month you will receive 6 or more products customized for you. The brands and products that Goodebox send out have been thoroughly evaluated upon the brand's use of non-toxic, natural ingredients that respect earth, animals, and humanity. The samples will range from make-up, skincare, body, fragrances, and some lifestyle and wellness products. Every month is a surprise, but the samples picked are based on a very detailed, thorough survey that even lets you indicate color preferences, any allergies, vegan, sensitivities, etc. Goodebox costs $16 a month, but the value of your box will be way above!
Click here to join Goodebox.

May 2012, Curated by Jessa Blades
This month's Goodebox has a little theme based on the fact that with the warming weather and all the color trends this season we are all looking to boost our own color palette to match. So they had the box curated by a make-up artist who knows color! It is curated by Jessa Blades a natural beauty expert and make-up artist. She believes that we must listen to our bodies and use products that heal, nourish, and protect while enhancing. Because of the bad expiration dates on the Weleda products last month, we have two extras from Weleda. And! Goodebox has officially started a reward recycling program through TerraCycle! Every month it just gets better and better!


Information Card:


Products:
Tatcha: Petal Fresh Original Aburatorigami Sheets
Intended for all skin types, these all-natural leaflets absorb excess oil withotu disturbing makeup for petal fresh skin anytime, anywhere. Will not steal moisture from skin or disturb makeup. Powder-free. Fragrance-free. Pulp-free.
Full Size: 30 sheets ($12.00)
Size Received: Full-size! 30 sheets ($12.00)
The packaging alone is gorgeous and the sheets have gold flecks in them! During imperial times thin sheets of paper were used to protect metals that were being hammered into leafs. Apparently geishas would use the papers, flecked with metal pieces to keep their skin matte. These sheets are made from abaca fibers which is a plant similar to a banana plant. I love that they are larger squares than most blotting papers. I can easily blot my entire face without loosing any of my make-up! They are almost too pretty to use, but since DC is so humid in the summer I know they will be a hot commodity in my purse.

 Kahina: 100% Organic Argan Oil
Extremely rich in Vitamin E & antioxidants, argan oil minimizes fine lines, restores elasticity, improves skin tone, soothes irritation, neutralizes free radicals that cause signs of aging and protects the skin from environmental agents. Light & easily absorbed, it gives skin a radiant glow.
Full Size: 1.0 oz ($36.00)
Size Received: 0.85? oz  ($26.20?)
The size is unlisted, but from my experience of this sample pack size it is around 0.1. I've never used argan oil, but I hear everyone talking about it. Kahina is an organic line that donates a percentage of their profits to support programs that improve the lives of Moroccan woman who extract argan oil. The creator works directly with these women to ensure ethical treatment and to source the oil. These women have used argan oil for centuries due to its high antoixidant and essential fatty acids and nutrients. You only need to apply 1-3 drops as needed to the face morning and evening after cleansing. Or you can use it for other purposes: restore hair shine and calm frizz, use to moisturize hands, treat skin conditions naturally, or use as a body oil. I have such oily skin that the word oil scares me. But I have heard that argan oil really helps with redness and acne! I'll report back after I use it for a week.

Kahina: Antioxidant Mask
Argan oil and silica-rich rhassoul clay combine with extracts of pomegranate and acai to detoxify, deeply drawing out impurities & replacing them with nourishing trace minerals. Stimulates collagen production & improves skin strength & elasticity. Delivers potent antioxidants & reduces signs of aging while gently exfoliating to reveal toned, smooth, supple skin.
Full Size: 1.69 oz ($62.00)
Size Received: 0.1 oz  ($3.00?)
This one is also unlisted, but it feels like 0.5. I have no idea though. The fact that argan oil on its own helps combat uneven skin and acne makes me believe this mask will be heaven. It is a nice thick clay mask that smells minty. It seems to be an all purpose mask that combats age, uneven skin tone, and acne/clogged pores. It uses pomegranate seeds as a natural exfoliant and has eucalyptus oil which my sensitive skin will love. I'm terribly at remembering to apply masks. I may do one mask every 3-4 weeks. I should set a reminder to make sure I do one a week. I am hopeful that this mask will be awesome and actually clear my pores!

Dr. Hauschka: Cleansing Milk & Make-up Remover
Ideal for removing makeup, this gentle cleanser features fermented grain extract to remove dirt & impurities. Jojoba and sweet almond oils maintain natural moisture balance, keeping skin soft and supple. Bentonite clay soothes and cools irritation while Anthyllis extract tones and balances. Excellent for all skin types, especially sensitive.
Full Size: 4.90z ($36.95)
Size Received: 1 oz ($7.54)
I heard about cleansing milks this year. Before that I had no idea there was such a product. I'm so lazy that I welcome products that can be used without water. Dr. Hauschka's is a German company, which I love, because Germany has very high standards for natural/organic ingredients and products. Cleansing Milks are creamier make-up removers that remove dirt while moisturizing. I used it last night using the instructions Goodebox gave. They said I could use it waterless and wipe it off. I did that, but I felt like I had a layer of slime left on my face. I looked at the instructions on the package and it says to wet face before and wash thoroughly with water or a moist wash cloth. So lies! It isn't a waterless cleanser! I'd definitely reuse this (with water). My skin felt really full and soft this morning. But would I really pay almost $40 for a cleanser, nope.

Zosimos Botanicals: Cream Eyeshadow in Ivory Sparkle
Full coverage, long lasting, rich color. Great for layering and blending with loose powder shadows.
Full Size: Minipot ($3.00)
Size Received: Minipot ($3.00)
The owner of this company is a vegetarian! This means that this company takes my issues to heart. On the website they have a DETAILED list of the few non-vegan products (and specific shades, which I learned some companies aren't willing to disclose) and gluten, soy, and nut charts. So awesome. This is a cream based eyeshadow that is made from oils and waxes. The minipots are apparently a concentrated version of the product. I found I had to actually scoop out the product and kind of smear it on. It almost reminds me of crayon eyeshadows, just in a pot. The color is a nice muted beige with a ton of fine sparkle. It is a very pretty color. I love that it came with a mini applicator. Since it is so waxy I don't really want to use any of my normal brushes in fear that it would be difficult to clean off.

Zosimos Botanicals: Eyeliner Pencil in Cobalt
Creamy, long-lasting eye pencils are easy to apply & come in a variety of colors to please any skin tone and eye color. Unlike wet, loose powder liners, these pencils go on smoothly, neatly, and evenly.
Full Size: 0.12 oz ($15.00)
Size Received: Full-size! 0.12 oz ($15.00)
Oh eyeliner, it's something I never go without. But I'm boring and tend to always stick to my plain black. But I was so excited to see that I got a bright, cobalt blue! It doesn't hurt to be adventurous every so often. The pencil is very creamy, but it doesnt apply evenly for me. I get spots that are weak and others that are really pigmented. I put it on my eyes and I couldn't get it as bright as I got it on my hand. But it did look like a steel, grey blue color which was really pretty. I'll definitely still use it and see how it wears.

Zhena's Gypsy Tea: Açai Berry Red Tea
Healthy beauty from the inside out. Enjoy this ultra premium, ultra-anti-oxidant, full leaf, organic tea for enhanced health and wellbeing. 100% biodegradable hot couture, corn silk sachets.
Full Size: 15 tea sachets ($6.99)
Size Received: 1 tea sachet ($0.47)
Mhm tea, my favorite extra. It is a caffeine-free tea so I was able to to drink it last night while I was winding down after work. This is a roobios red tea which I always love.  It reminds me of the roobios I always drink at the tea place in the mall. It had açai, blueberry, cranberry, elderberry, licorice root, hibiscus, rosehip, orange peel, lemon grass, and vanilla. All those flavors mixed together were delicious and refreshing. The tea bag was one of those mesh pyramid shapes that are so popular right now. I'd definitely buy this again if I saw it in the store.

Weleda: Pomegranate Day & Night Firming Creams
Full Size: 1 oz each($33.00 and $37.00)
Size Received: 0.23 oz each ($7.60 and 8.51)
These samples were included in the June box because of the expired samples we received last month. I didn't mind the expiration and have been using my products all month long. But it is nice that they took action. These two samples expire 12/2013 so much better! As Kahina taught us pomegranate is a great ingredient filled with antioxidants to help fight the aging process. The creams have shown to reduce wrinkles and improve elasticity when used daily, although their sample size was very small (21 individuals). I have such oily/acne-ridden skin that all the creams that I'll put on my face are laced with retinol or benzoyl peroxide, not aging ingredients. I'll probably give these away. But the gesture was appreciated.

TerraCycle: Bear Naked Granola Wrapper Recycled Zip Bag
This bag is so cute! And even better it represents the start of Goodebox's Beauty Packaging Recycling program. Now we can send cosmetic and beauty packaging that generally are not accepted by our home programs to TerraCycle. Every 0.05 lbs earns 2 points. Once we have 1 lb (40 points), Goodebox will give you a bonus sample in your next box! I think it is so awesome! They have a full list of what is accepted on their website. I've already started collecting a ton of empty containers. I never realized that my attempt to recycle those products may have useless. Now I know they will be recycle!

Total value of my May 2012 Goodebox:$83.32

What do you think of my May 2012 Goodebox? What products did you get in yours? Are you as excited as I am about the recycling reward program? Let me know in the comments below!

2 comments:

  1. This box is great ! I wish we had something similar in Canada (an ethical box). I also have a sample of pure organic argan oil and I use it as a night moisturizer. In the morning, my skin has absorded all of it (and I have combination skin), leaving it nice and soft. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really loving the ethical, natural boxes. They are all that I have now (other than Birchbox).
      So you haven't had any problems with acne flaring up? I'm trying out the oil tonight.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...