Friday, February 15, 2013

Favorite Music Friday: MS MR

I'm all screwed up on the days since I had Thursday off and am working the weekend. Apparently it is Friday, which means another new band to share!

MS MR (think Miss and Mr) is this week's Favorite Music Friday. I can't remember how I first heard about this band. I was pretty sure I heard their song 'Dark Doo Woop' on a television show, but I can't figure out which one. 

MS MR is a  New York duo made up of Lizzy Plapinger and Max Hershenow. They are considered a Tumblr band. What does that mean? Similarly to youtube artists, MS MR utilized the internet (on Tumblr and Soundcloud) to get their fan base. Their videos and their tumblr are full of random stills and gifs that are mostly creepy, weird, or just random. Strangely enough they describe their genre as Tumblr Glitch Pop, Soul Fuzz, and Electroshock. I had no idea any of these were genres of music. So how would I describe them?I'd say they are chillpop. Lizzy is responsible for all the vocals and she has been compared to Lana Del Ray and Florence + the Machine on multiple blogs. I see the Lana since Lizzy always seems to have a bit of a dark, moodiness in her voice, but I don't get the Florence at all. I find her voice like a mix between MNDR and Katy B. Her voice is strong, moody, and somehow light on top of it all. They are touring with Bastille and Jessica Ware this summer in the UK and US. And I think if you're a fan of either of those bands, you'd like MS MR!

Just last week MS MR posted a preview on their tumblr of their upcoming full-length album 'Second Hand Rapture,' which will be out May 14th. I am very excited about the CD! Even the first song off of it surpassed my expectations. Today I'm featuring the song that got them on the map, 'Hurricane.' A breakup/love song. The lyrics are honest and relatable. Like:

I jumped the gun
so sure you'd split and run
ready for the worst
before the damage was done

Welcome to the inner workings of my mind
so dark and foul I can't disguise

I hope you enjoy! Happy weekend!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...