Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Birchbox: November 2012

A little extra free-time on my hands this week means I've got time to play around with my beauty box samples and update my blog!

Don't know what Birchbox is?
Birchbox is a monthly subscription service that delivers a little, heavenly box of premium beauty samples to your doorstep. Each month you will receive 4-5 samples (sometimes even full-sized products) and generally a goodie (energy booster, granola bar, etc). The samples range from make-up, polishes, skincare, body, hair, and fragrances. All from luxury, quality brands. Every month is a surprise, but the samples picked for you are based on a survey you fill out letting the gals know your style and skin-type. Birchbox costs just $10 a month, and your box will always be valued way above!
Click here to join Birchbox.

November 2012, Box #20
November in America means Thanskgiving. Birchbox went along and made this month's box all about giving: giving thanks, giving back, and giving treats. Birchbox made a large donation to The Art of Elysium, a non-profit organization that allows actors/artists to dedicate time to children battling disease. This month we also received a handy gift guide, with all sorts of ideas for different people in our lives.


Information Cards:


Products:
ModelCoFibre Lashxtend Lengthening Mascara
Falsies without the fuss. This innovative mascara uses tiny lash-extending fibers to give you a lengthy fringe. Tip: Rotate the wand inside the bottle to pick up the fibers.
Full Size: unknown ($24.00)
Size Received: possibly full-size? ($24.00)
ModelCo is a company started by models and other individuals in the fashion industry that took it upon themselves to create products they felt weren't on the market. This mascara uses fibers to make your lashes longer and thicker. The ingredients have all kinds of polymers, waxes, and nylons. I'm sure it is similar to blinc, but the wax probably helps to produce even longer, thicker fibers. I did talk to a ModelCo rep who let me know that the product is not vegan, as it has lanolin wax (sheep wool wax), so I traded it for a tarte lipsurgence lip stain. I love my Blinc, so Im not too upset that I didn't get to try this out.
Cruelty-free! (product not vegan)


Lulu OrganicsLavender + Clay Sage Hair Powder
Revive second-day locks by working this organic dry shampoo into your roots. You'll get plenty of lift, but no residue.
Full Size: 4.0 oz ($30.00)
Size Received: 0.17 oz ($1.28)
For months, gals have been raving about Lulu Organics. They have a sample pack for sale on their website that I was always tempted to try out, luckily I got to try their lavender + clay sage hair powder. Ive been using baby powder and other dry shampoos for years and years. In college, there was no way I was going to waste 40 minutes of precious study time showering every minute my hair got a little funky. My biggest complaint with hair powders is that I always get residue on my clothes or my hair turns a big white. I found this stuff worked really nicely. Immediately I saw an improvement, it smelled great (and not like a baby's ass), and I was able to brush out the chalky-ness. A little goes a long way. I'd definitely be interested in buying the full-size. 4 oz would last years!
Cruelty-free!

Miracle Skin TransformerVanish Instant Imperfection Corrector
Before applying makeup, prep skin with this serum-infused primer, which has optical diffusers that mask imperfections.
Full Size: 1 oz ($58.00)
Size Received: 0.1 oz ($5.80)
This is a two-in-one product, half serum, half primer. It helps to improve skin tone, reduce dark spots, brightens skin, and smooths skin for a perfect makeup base. I haven't tried this out yet. Some people have been raving that this product has helped them with blemishes and large pores. I didn't like any of the Miracle Skin Transformer products Ive gotten in past Birchboxes, but you can't deny 150 positive reviews! It is a silica based primer, which are my favorite, because they make your skin silky smooth and even.
Cruelty-free!

Atelier CologneRose Anonyme Petite Cologne Absolute
Thanks to spicy ginger and a touch of bergamot, this sexy new rose scent is more sophisticated than sweet.
Full Size: 1 oz ($75.00)
Size Received: 0.03 oz ? ($2.50)
I love getting perfumes in my Birchboxes, but I am so desperately happy that I got this. I've never had a stronger reaction to a perfume, ever. The included postcard's imagery paints a picture, plus the back states: "She turned the dial until the safe opened, revealing the diamond. She had stolen jewels before, but none compared with this one. She left a single rose and the scent of her perfume in its place for him to find. In a moment she’d be halfway around the world and he would be in pursuit. The chase began again…"
And then I opened up the vial and breathed the story in... Top notes of rich bergamot, ginger, and Turkish rose essence mark a very spicy, sultry true rose scent. As it melts into your skin more rose and incense from Somalia and velvet oud help to soften the spice and bring out more of that freshly cut rose. The base is of patchouli, papayrus, and benzoin. This mix of sweet, spicy, and mysterious makes me crazy. I desperately want the full-size. Desperately.
Cruelty-free!

Chuao ChocolatierPotato Chip ChocoPod
These bite-sized artisanal treats are made with premium Venezuelan cacao and come in a range of unexpected flavors.
Full Size: 7 pods ($7.95)
Size Received: 1 pod ($1.14)
There has to be other Birchbox members that are allergic/don't eat milk! I gave this away, but thought it was a cute little product. I could see giving a pack of these as a little gift. The Chuao Chocolatier's make all sorts of quirky flavors. Like Maple Bacon, Spicy Maya, and Firecracker. It looks like some of the flavors may be vegan, but unfortunately the potato chip flavor is made with milk chocolate.
(Product not vegan)

Extra
CHROMATICgallerie: $15 off Coupon
I do love shoes and these are cute, but they are darn expensive shoes and all leather. The company has a great idea selling all different heel heights for each color they sell. You can really customize for the perfect shoe. 


Total value of my November 2012 Birchbox:$34.72 + coupon 
I enjoyed this box a lot. Even though the full-size, highest value product wasn't vegan I was able to trade it in for a lip stain that I really wanted, sounds like a good deal to me. Birchbox has it's ups and downs, but it is worth it when you find products you would never have sampled without it!

What do you think of my November Birchbox? How does it compare to yours?  Let me know in the comments below!
If you don't get Birchbox, click here to join

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...