Monday, October 1, 2012

Birchbox: September 2012

I have stopped anxiously guessing at what my Birchbox will contain. I used to search videos, look at spoilers, and hype up themes. That left me short changed and disappointed. I feel a renewed excited for Birchbox and am ready to be surprised every month!

Don't know what Birchbox is?
Birchbox is a monthly subscription service that delivers a little, heavenly box of premium beauty samples to your doorstep. Each month you will receive 4-5 samples (sometimes even full-sized products) and generally a goodie (energy booster, granola bar, etc). The samples range from make-up, polishes, skincare, body, hair, and fragrances. All from luxury, quality brands. Every month is a surprise, but the samples picked for you are based on a survey you fill out letting the gals know your style and skin-type. Birchbox costs just $10 a month, and your box will always be valued way above!
Click here to join Birchbox.

September 2012, Box #10
Fall is officially here. The days of short shots, neon nails, and humidity have parted ways to make room for the autumn chill, layers, and deep gorgeous colors. Birchbox is inspiring us this month to test out the new trends and step into fall looking fabulous. This month we received an 18 page Fall Lookbook mini-magazines. It includes all kinds of tips and new looks. My favorites are the new twisted braid, how to wear bold eyeshadow, and tips for applying lipstick. It was a great addition to the box and I truly hope that this wasn't a one time thing. Head designer of Madewell, Kin Ying Lee, helped put together the Lookbook and also has some of her own tips in the book.

Information Cards:


Products:
Dr. JartWater Fuse Beauty Balm 25 SPF+
Think of this four-in-one moisturizer, serum, sunscreen, and skin-perfecting tint as the (extremely stylish) Swiss Army Knife of your beauty lineup.
Full Size: 1.7 oz ($32.00)
Size Received: 0.1 oz ($1.88)
I'm never the first time try new beauty trends. I only just got into tinted moisturizers. And now there are all these BB creams to try! Birchbox loves Dr. Jart, they featured them in multiple boxes since May. I have already tried this product in the past and remember liking it. It was a good BB cream that evened out my skin tone, blended well with my skin color, wasn't greasy, and lasted all day. It didn't cover too much, just made everything (blemishes, pores, spots) blend naturally together. The only thing I don't like about BB creams is it really makes your skin one toned. You lose your natural contours and glow. I always have to wear more blush and bronzer to get my usual glow back. I wouldn't rebuy this product because it most likely isn't cruelty-free since it is a Korean brand. I couldn't find any information anywhere.
Unsure if tested on animals. (most likely tested on animals as Korean brand)


Color Club: Birchbox Custom Polish in Insta-This
We teamed up with Color Club to create this custom shade, inspired by the Fall 2012 collections.
Full Size: 0.5 oz ($8.00)
Size Received: 0.25 oz ($4.00)
Birchbox sure loves Color Club. I think this is my fourth so far this year. I don't mind. I think nail polishes add great value to my boxes. I was highly impressed with this polish! Normally I find Color Club streaky, uneven, and chip easily. Instead this sexy, true blue polish applied evenly, smooth, and lasted longer than any Color Club polish I've worn. I seriously adore this color. It is bright and fun without being neon teenager. It is perfect to wear with the new fall trends. I am really happy with the color I got!
Cruelty-free!

BVLGARI: Mon Jasmin Noir
With waves of ripe fruit and a base of heady jasmine, this luxurious scent is the perfect accessory to fall outfits.
Full Size: 1.69 oz ($83.00)
Size Received: 0.05 oz ($2.46)
I fell in love with Bvlgari's Omnia Crystalline which I received in my May Birchbox. I already bought the full-size in the BB shop. I got it 25% off and with $30 off. Deal? You betcha. I was excited to get to try another scent from the Italian powerhouse. Mon Jasmin Noir is a scent that was created to capture the scent of a sophisticated, sensual woman. The top notes are cedrac and lily of the valley. Im not the biggest fan of the top notes, it is a bit too old for me. But once the middle and dry down enter in I am please. The jasmine comes in and it is fresh, crisp, and a little woodsy/musky. I still think this scent is too old for me. I could see wearing it for something very formal. But I wouldn't wear this every day. What I did like is that it lasted so long!
Cruelty-free!

LiQWd: Professional Voluminizing Catalyst
Loaded with high-tech ingredients, this body-building mist penetrates deep into each strand to make your locks look fuller.
Full Size: 5.0 oz ($22.00)
Size Received: 0.34 oz ($1.63)
If I put mousse in my hair, 20mins later my hair will look like a wet mop. Product is not my friend. So when there is a lightweight miracle worker, I'm on board. LiQWd is a brand I have not heard of before, but I contacted the company and immediately was greeted with happy news that all their products are both cruelty-free and contain no animal derived ingredients. The volume in this catalyst is created by nano-hydraspheres that swells the hair follicle with moisture to lift and separate each strand. Plus, it has all sorts of nutrients from natural ingredients (tomato and cocoa) to stimulate healthy growth, nourish, and protect hair. To get the perfect look, spritz on the product on damp hair from roots to ends, comb through, fluff, and dry (air or blow dry). I can't wait to try this!
Cruelty-free!

LiQWdVolumizing Shampoo & Conditioner
This body-building duo pumps up each follicle full of moisture, helping hair look fuller.
Full Size: both 11.8 oz ($24.00)
Size Received: 2 satchels 0.25 oz ($0.96)
What a perfect extra to go along with the voluminizing styling product. Both the shampoo and conditioner use the special nano-hydraspheres to add volume. Plus wheat protein and amino acids that hold moisture to help combat humidity, soften and smooth, and increase hair cuticle thickness. Rice protein and vitamins help promote healthy cell nutrition.
Cruelty-free!

twistbandBirchbox Custom Lace Hair Tie
Designers went gaga for lace this season and we don't blame them. Get on board with these ouch-free hair ties.
Full Size: 6 twistbands ($14.00)
Size Received: 1 twistband ($2.33)
The first time I got a twistband in my box I was livid. A piece of stretch elastic tied in a knot, how is this special. But I love the idea of having a larger hair band to wear around my wrist when I may want my hair up. I use kids plastic teeny hair ties that would cut off circulation on even my pointer finger and somehow always get lost when I throw them in my pant pockets. My only concern with these is I start wearing them for days and days and I just wonder what kind of bacteria is on them. I do love this lace pattern, makes it a bit more special.

Extras
Birchbox Digital Download
Tristan Prettyman is our latest musical crush. Download two of the singer-songwriter's brand new tracks at tristanprettyman.com/bb.
Last time we got a digital download many gals were so disappointed. But I absolutely adore trying out new music. The two songs that are available for download is My Oh My and Quit You. I've already heard My Oh My on Sirius radio and really adore it. Tristan is a little folky, sultry, and pop-infused. I really adore her music. And it sounds like her new album, Cedar+Gold, set to release in October will be awesome.

Madewell Coupon
Included is a $25 off a purchase of $75 or more. However great a deal that sounds like, Madewell is darn expensive! Madewell is the sister store of J. Crew. It is a bit younger (less preppy and less structured). It is slightly less expensive, but I don't see spending $98 for a flannel button up. I don't think I'll be using my coupon. The coupon was only valid until the 30th.

Total value of my September 2012 Birchbox:$13.26
My relationship with Birchbox is bipolar. I absolutely adored this box! It had a little of everything and some great extras! It just shows that the value doesn't always matter. Last month I had a value of $30 and I was so displeased. This month just barely over the $10 I pay, but I loved everything I got. Plus, many of the items are within my small budget so there is a possibility that I could afford to rebuy items!

What do you think of my September Birchbox? How does it compare to yours? What color polish did you get? Let me know in the comments below!
If you don't get Birchbox, click here to join

2 comments:

  1. I really appreciate your reviewing style. Picture + price + sample value + + review + cruelty-free status = super win! Thank you! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im so glad! It takes me a bit longer to write these up, but its so worth it! Thanks for reading!!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...