Thursday, March 7, 2013

Ipsy: January 2013

In April 2012 I cancelled MyGlam after months of crappy bags and being misinformed by a MyGlam rep about animal hair brushes. The same month MyGlam hosted an in-house forum with online beauty gurus and their staff to work towards bettering their service. In September 2012, MyGlam changed their name to Ipsy. The reasoning behind the change wasn't very well stated, but it may have been to get away from all the negativity/backlash they received. The name change also brought a positive change in the bags. Higher quality brands, exciting products, and here I am back subscribing!

Don't know what Ipsy is? Ipsy is a once a month beauty subscription service that delivers premium beauty samples to your door. The creator of Ipsy, Michelle Phan, is a YouTube beauty expert that wants to share her favorite items with the world. The bags are delivered in the cutest reusable beauty bags. Once you join you will take a beauty/preference quiz that will help the girls choose the best products for you. The products range from beauty, skincare, hair, body, nails, and more. Every month you should also expect to receive full-sized products. Ipsy costs $10 a month, and your bag will always be valued above!
Click here to join Ipsy.

January 2013, Super Stars
My sister told me at Christmas time that she signed up for Ipsy. I started investigating and saw the Ipsy Facebook previews for this bag and was sold when I saw Josie Maran would be featured. It seemed like Ipsy was really going in a positive direction and I was ready to go in. This month's theme is Super Stars. Ipsy put together 5 Super Star products to help you get ready for a new you in the new year.


Information Card:

It looks like Ipsy has done away with real information cards. All descriptions are taken from the Ipsy online product pages.

Products:
PacificaBody Butter in Tuscan Blood Orange
Tuscan Blood Orange Body Butter is not only a highly effective antioxidant rich moisturizer that nourishes the driest of skin and helps fight off the signs of aging; it nourishes your other senses as well.Full Size: 8 oz ($15.00)
Size Received: 2.5 oz ($4.69)
I can never get enough of Pacifica products. While growing up I thought having acne meant I shouldn't use any moisturizing oils or butters. I received a huge tub of Pacifica body butter for christmas one year and never used it! Now that I know better, I was so excited to try out this scent. Some people thought it smells like Skittles or just overly fruity. But I love it! Blood oranges, mandarin, strawberries, and raspberries. I think it's pretty delicious. Their body butter is formulated with shea butter, almond oil, and safflower oil. It isn't too thick and is easy to apply. It absorbs pretty quickly and really does leave my skin feeling soft. It's even helping heal some really bad dry spots on my hands! My mini tube is just about empty! Luckily, I still have that untouched tub I received for Christmas that I'll be moving on to. Once that is gone, Im pretty sure I'll be rebuying this stuff. Pacifica has so many enticing flavors that I want to try them all!
Cruelty-free!

Sexy HairSpray & Play Voluminizing Hair Spray
Your everyday spray for BIG volume! Spray & Play is a humidity resistant, flexible hold hairspray that provides fullness, lift and incredible shine! Perfect for all hair types.
Full Size: 10.6 oz ($16.99)
Size Received: 1.5 oz ($2.40)
Switching over to 100% cruelty-free brands is a process. I buy a lot of my favorite beauty products in bulk, including my hairspray. I currently use Redken forceful 23, love the stuff, but Redken is owned by L'Oreal and therefore may be testing on animals. Sexy Hair is a cruelty-free brand so I was happy to get a sample of this stuff! This hairspray is meant to provide fullness and volume and a hold that is flexible. I've only used it so far to hold back my bangs, and it was non-sticky and is quite flexible. It does leave a little 'hairspray' like dry residue, but my hair is still flexible and doesn't look oily. I used it this weekend and I don't really think it provided any volume, but it did do a great job holding the volume I created with my brush. I didn't have to think about my hair all night long!
Cruelty-free!

Josie Maran: 100% Pure Argan Oil
Create your unique eye look with these creamy glide on pencils in the latest colors. Built to last 24/7.
Full Size: 1.7 oz ($48.00)
Size Received: 0.17 oz ($4.80)
This is actually the whole reason why I decided to sign back up. I love Josie Maran's beauty line and couldn't pass up her most coveted product, argan oil. Argan oil is a lightweight oil that is rich in fatty acids and Vitamin E. The oil is fast absorbing and can be used for a multitude of purposes and skin conditions. Use it as a moisturizer leaving the skin dewy and aglow, plus it may help acne, redness, and reduce fine lines. Treat split ends and frizzy hair, use as cuticle oil, or put a few drops into any of your beauty/skincare products to get added moisture. Argan oil can be used on any skin type. This is such a decent sample size, it will last for months.
Cruelty-free!

SOHO: "Get a Grip" Eyeliner Brush
Define eyes with the Get a Grip Eyeliner Brush. Starting with the upper lash line, delicately trace the eye from the inside corner working towards the outside. Repeat on bottom lash line. Perfect for wet or dry eyeliner.
Full Size: 1 brush ($7.99)
Size Received: Full-size! 1 brush ($7.99)
When I saw we were getting a brush, I got a little scared. All the problems with MyGlam was surrounded around brushes. Luckily, the brush I received is made of synthetic nylon bristles. It is well documented on the company's website and on the Ipsy product page. Whew! My eyeliner brush came with the bristles bent. Im pretty sure it isn't supposed to be like that, but it worked out okay. It makes for a perfect angle for applying gel eyeliners. I wish the bristles were a bit shorter because it is a little too pliable for my liking.
SOHO has brushes sourced from both animal hair and synthetics.

Nailtini: Straight Up Nail Lacquer in Frappe
You can’t go wrong with a classic, all the way to your fingertips. These two are the all-time best selling Nailtini nail lacquers. Whether the glossy true-red of bloody mary or the hint-of-pink of frappe, your tips and toes are classic perfection anytime. Full Size: 0.5 oz ($13.00)
Size Received: Full-size received! 0.5 oz ($13.00)
What an interesting brand concept. All their products are a play on happy hour and drinks. The description on the packaging says 'Great straight or mixed -- it's cocktails for nails.' Even their ingredients are listed in section headed with vodka, simple syrup, and dry gin. Super cute. I received a full-size in Frappe, a sheer pink. This wouldn't have been a color I would have picked out for myself. But it doesn't hurt to have a good sheer in my collection. The brush was perfect for an even, streak free application. Although it didn't last long. The next day it started to bubble and crack. I like bubbles in my champagne, not my nail polish...
Cruelty-free!

Total Value of my January 2013 Ipsy bag$32.88
I'm pretty happy with this bag! You know its a good one when you are already out of a sample! All the samples are of substantial size and so many different types of products. Plus, the bag itself is a great size and the lining is so cute! I'm very happy I decided to rejoin and look forward to my next bag.

What do you think of the January Ipsy bag? Did you cancel MyGlam and resubscribe after the name change? Let me know in the comments below! If you dont get Ipsy and are interested, click here to join!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...